Royal Manticoran Marine Corps
|Royal Manticoran Marine Corps|
|Commander:||MotC Sir Michael Houghtaling, Earl of Sutherland|
|Reporting to:||First Lord of the Admiralty|
The Royal Manticoran Marine Corps (abbrev. RMMC) is a component of The Royal Manticoran Navy: The Official Honor Harrington Fan Association, Inc.. Members of this component tend to focus on the Marine Corps aspect of the stories. RMN ships with a sufficient number of members who are Marines may form a Marine detachment, or MarDet. They wear the uniform of the RMMC and are addressed by Marine ranks.
Marine Forces Command
Commands of the Royal Manticoran Marine Corps
Management of the RMMC is handled through various Commands which each manage a particular area of the RMMC.
- Marshal of the Corps - MotC - The MotC is the Executive Vice-President of The Royal Manticoran Navy: The Official Honor Harrington Fan Association, Inc. and is a member of the Royal Council. They act as the Commandant of the Royal Manticoran Marine Corps.
- Marine Forces Command - FORCECOM - The commander of Marine Forces Command is a mixture of the 3SL Bureau of Ships and 5SL Bureau of Personnel. This command is responsible for MARDET creation, personnel moves, and promotions.
- Training Command - TRACOM - TRACOM comprises RMMC staff assigned to the Bureau of Training and is responsible for administrating the RMMCTC Enlisted Training Center, RMMCTC Officer Training Center, RMMCTC Warrant Officers School, RMMCTC War College, and RMMCTC Technical Specialties College.
FORCECOM Orders are operational orders issued by COMFORCECOM to specific MarDets and other RMMC units.
The RMMC has a hierarchy of echelons grouping its operational forces:
The largest geographical area division for the RMMC is the Corps:
- First Corps – North and South America (deactivated as is subsidiary Expeditionary Forces are now developed)
- Second Corps – Europe and Africa
- Third Corps – Asia and Australia
- Fourth Corps – BuNine
An Expeditionary Force consists of all Marine units operating within a Naval District and follows the same numbering system:
- First Expeditionary Force (First Fleet)
- Second Expeditionary Force (Second Fleet)
- Third Expeditionary Force (Third Fleet)
- Sixth Expeditionary Force (Sixth Fleet)
- Eighth Expeditionary Force (Eighth Fleet)
- Tenth Expeditionary Force (Tenth Fleet)
Expeditionary forces consist of one or more marine regiments. Each regiment may be formed of Marine Detachments from multiple ships. The senior regiment for each expeditionary force is as follows:
|1st||"The Manticore Guard Regiment" aka Manticore Guards|
|2nd||"The Gryphon Highlander Regiment" aka Gryphon Highlanders|
|3rd||"The Montanero Regiment"|
|4th||"The New Covenant Regiment"|
|6th||"Tannerman Rifle Regiment" aka Tannerman Rifles|
|8th||"The Medusa Regiment"|
|10th||"The Lynx Regiment"|
The marines forming part of a Royal Manticoran Navy ship's complement are referred to as a Marine Detachment (MarDet), and may number anywhere from a platoon to a battalion, depending on the size of the ship.
- Brigade (two regiments)
- Division (two brigades)
- Planetary Force (two divisions)
These have since been removed as Marine Corps echelon types in TRMN.
Within the context of the Honorverse canon, Marines form an integral part of a ship's crew; they man the ship's weapons, are crucial to damage control and are used for boarding parties or to provide a quick-reaction ground force on a planet's surface. While Marines can be deployed as a garrison force, such arrangements usually last only until they are relieved by Army units.