|BuShips CO Manual Quick Navigation|
|Front||Welcome||Contacts||Preparation||Processes||Chapter Operations||Membership & Activities||Mentorship|
Launching a Pinnace/Light Attack Craft
While the official launch of a Pinnace or Light Attack Craft (LAC) is accomplished via an order of the Fleet Commanding Officer, the Pinnace/LAC Assignment Request is initially sent to BuShips for processing.
There are a number of items that need to be completed before a Pinnace/LAC Assignment Request is sent to BuShips. Ensuring these steps are completed before sending the request form will allow BuShips to enact your request with minimal delays.
- Create a roster for the proposed ship as described in Bulding a Roster for a New Ship
- Select a ship name using the process described in Requesting a Name for a Ship.
- Ensure the command triad members are eligible for the required ranks for their positions on the given hull size. More information can be found on the Roster Building page.
- If the prospective CO of the ship is not currently serving as the CO of a ship, they will need a Letter of Recommendation or Statement of Counseling as detailed in BuShips Directive 1903-13. In order to minimize delays, work with your echelon leadership (TG, TF, or Fleet CO) to get the necessary document submitted at the same time, or as soon as possible thereafter, to email@example.com.
- Ensure the Pinnace/LAC Launch Request form is filled out correctly. Forms filled out incorrectly will be rejected.
- Submit the completed Pinnace/LAC Assignment Request form to firstname.lastname@example.org. If there is a preferred date of commissioning, please note that in the email. At a minimum, allow at least one week for BuShips to work through the process and create the necessary documents. Allow more time if any necessary documents for the Command Review Board are not being submitted at the same time as the Commissioning Request.
- This form MUST be submitted by the prospective commanding officer per BuShips Directive 1807-01. Any Pinnace/LAC Assignment Request forms submitted by someone other than the prospective CO of the new ship will be rejected.
- A member of the BuShips staff will reply to let the submitter know that the request has been received. This staff member will be the submitter's primary contact through the commissioning process. However, email@example.com should be CCed on every email to help ensure no breakdowns in communication occur.
- Any issues identified by the BuShips staff will be relayed to the original submitter and the Fleet CO, where appropriate, via email.
- Once all information is verified, the Director of Small Craft will notify the Fleet Commanding Officer that the Pinnace/LAC is ready to launch.
- It is left to the Fleet Commanding Officer to write an appropriate order launching the Pinnace/LAC.
- On the requested date, or as early as possible, the Fleet Commanding Officer, will:
- Email the prepared order to the CO of the new ship, the Bureau of Personnel, and Web Services
- Post the order on the forums, TRMN Announcements and Orders Facebook page, and the affected fleet's Facebook page.