|BuShips CO Manual Quick Navigation|
|Front||Welcome||Contacts||Preparation||Processes||Chapter Operations||Membership & Activities||Mentorship|
Downgrade/Decommissioning a Ship
BuShips always hopes to find a way to avoid decommissioning a ship. However, there are times when it becomes unavoidable. Possible reasons for a ship to be decommissioned include one or more members of the command triad lacking coursework, number of crew below the minimum for the hull size, too few officers for the hull size, and by the decision of the crew. For most of these situations, there are alternative courses of action, such as a ship downgrade (follow the Ship Upgrade procedure in this case, but submit the Downgrade/Decommissioning Request Form) or finding replacements command triad members who have the requisite training. However, if the time comes that the crew opts to decommission their ship, the following procedures should be followed.
There are a number of items that need to be completed before a Downgrade/Decommissioning Request Form is sent to BuShips. Ensuring these steps are completed before sending the request form will allow BuShips to enact your request with minimal delays.
- Hold a crew vote about whether or not to decommission the ship. The results of the vote should be sent along with the Downgrade/Decommissioning Request Form
- Ensure the Downgrade/Decommissioning Request form is filled out correctly. The most common issue is not separating enlisted members and officers into the correct areas on the form. Forms filled out incorrectly will be rejected.
- Submit the completed Downgrade/Decommissioning Request form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A member of the BuShips staff will reply to let the submitter know that the request has been received. This staff member will be the submitter's primary contact through the commissioning process. However, email@example.com should be CCed on every email to help ensure no breakdowns in communication occur.
- Any issues identified by the BuShips staff will be relayed to the original submitter and the Fleet CO, where appropriate via email.
- On the requested date, or as early as possible, the Third Space Lord will:
- Email the prepared documents to the CO of the ship, the Fleet CO of the affected fleet, the Bureau of Personnel, and Web Services
- Post the order on the forums, TRMN Announcements and Orders Facebook page, the affected fleet's Facebook page, and the Bureau of Ships Facebook page.