Senior Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy
The Senior Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy (abbrev: SMCPON, colloq: SMACK-PON) is a TRMN-level Staff position with the paygrade of E-10 in the Royal Manticoran Navy. The occupant of this position is to be considered the most senior enlisted member within The Royal Manticoran Navy: The Official Honor Harrington Fan Association, Inc.. The Grayson Space Navy equivalent is the also referred to as the Senior Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy (GSN), to distinguish the billet.
On 25 December 2016, the Grayson Space Navy component of TRMN established its own SMCPON(GSN) (see Protector's Order 1202-16). Prior to this, the FSMCPO for Fourth Fleet (aka Grayson Space Navy Home Fleet) was the de facto GSN SMCPON; however with increasing numbers of GSN personnel serving in RMN chapters, there was a need to decouple the 4th Fleet FSCMPO and SMCPON GSN roles/responsibilities. The SMCPON(GSN)'s duties are the same as the SMCPON save that his AOR is confined to GSN personnel, and he reports to the High Admiral.
- Senior Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy: Senior enlisted person in the Organization/TRMN
- Senior Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy (GSN): Senior enlisted person in the Grayson Space Navy component of TRMN
- Command Senior Master Chief Petty Officer: Senior enlisted person in a ground installation. (e.g., SIA)
- Sgt Major of the Army / Sgt Major of the Marine Corps
Major Areas of Responsibility
- Be a Cheerleader for the enlisted personnel
- Encourage participation
- Assist in conflict resolution
- Train/Educate Fleet and Branch Bosuns in their various duties including taking exams at the Academy
- Be the voice of the enlisted to the First Space Lord and assist them as required.
- Coordinate with Branch senior enlisted to make sure the Enlisted Corps are all on the same page, present a unified front
- Collect Bosun Reports from Fleet/Branch Senior Enlisted for presentation to the First Lord of the Admiralty Quarterly.
- Create a Bi-Annual State of the Enlisted report to be presented to the Board through the First Space Lord
- The SMCPON is responsible for organizing and moderating the quarterly Enlisted Promotion Board for all enlisted members (including RMN, RMMC, RMA, GSN, and IAN) nominated for promotion to the grades of E-8 to E-10
- The SMCPON approves all promotions from the grade of E-6 to E-7 for all enlisted members (including RMN, RMMC, RMA, GSN, and IAN) nominated for promotion
- Other duties as assigned by the First Space Lord.
- First and foremost a SMCPON needs to do everything possible to enhance the fan experience of the members of the Fleet. This includes all enlisted and even junior officers. Make sure they find what they are looking for in the fan environment.
- Assign and oversee duties of the Fleet Bosuns assigned to them. Hands-on if needed, but ideally the SMCPON will give direction and then make sure it is done right & well.
- Act as an ombudsman to the Club to resolve conflicts.
- Discuss with each Bosun/Fleet Bosun about their crew's desired level of involvement (military, civilian, etc.) and assist them in getting their crew to participate to their level of comfort.
- Assist the Bosuns/Fleet Bosuns in Encouraging the crew to participate and have fun.
- Create and foster an attitude of military bearing and respect among the crew to the best of each person's comfort level.
- Foster an appreciation for uniform dress (whether it is a T-shirt or the full uniform). Help each member work to achieve at least a basic level of TRMN attire. Note what items per crewmember are needed to accomplish the next level of uniform dress.
- Be well versed in Drill and Ceremonies and the use of the Bosun's Pipe. Teach and maintain the crew's ability to perform basic military drill and ceremonies functions as detailed by the commanding officer's directives.
- Oversee enlisted exam-taking and rating development in the fleet.
- Locate and mentor Bosuns/Fleet Bosuns/Branch Bosuns to achieve higher rank and to take on more responsibility. Groom a crewperson to take over SMCPON duties if SMCPON is unavailable. This will First be the CSMCPO of the Academy, then the senior most of the Fleet Bosuns.
List of SMCPONs in TRMN
|1||Sir William J. Lochen, OC, KE, NS, Baron Boundary Waters||HMS Invincible||15 April 2012||8 March 2014|
|2||Sir Thomas Coonradt, KDE, KCR, OC, DGc, NS, CGM, QBM, CBM||HMS Andromeda||8 March 2014||31 May 2018|
|3||Sir William J. Lochen, KSK, OC, KR, KE, SC, OG, NS, QBM, Count of Boundary Waters, Baron La Mancha||HMS Invincible|| 31 May 2018
|1||Thomas Bainbridge||GNS Albion (DD-42)||25 December 2016||29 May 2017|
|2||Kathy Rau, OC, OE, QBM||HMS Thunderer||29 May 2017||Incumbent|
- Bosun (position)
- Fleet Senior Master Chief Petty Officer
- Command Senior Master Chief Petty Officer
- Sergeant-Major of the Army
- Sergeant-Major of the Marine Corps
- Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy (Republic of Haven Navy)
- Oberstabsbootsmann der Flotte (Imperial Andermani Navy)