BuShips:CO Manual/Processes/Change of Command
|BuShips CO Manual Quick Navigation|
|Front||Welcome||Contacts||Preparation||Processes||Chapter Operations||Membership & Activities||Mentorship|
Change of Command Requests
A change of command request is used to request a change to one or more of the command triad members of a ship. This form should always be submitted by the current Commanding Officer of the ship. In the event that this is not possible, see the provisions in BuShips Directive 1807-01.
There are a number of items that need to be completed before a Change of Command Request is sent to BuShips. Ensuring these steps are completed before sending the request form will allow BuShips to enact your request with minimal delays.
- Ensure the incoming command triad members are eligible for the required ranks for their positions on the given hull size. More information can be found on the Roster Building page.
- If a new CO is being named and the prospective CO of the ship is not currently serving as the CO of a ship, they will need a Letter of Recommendation or Statement of Counseling as detailed in BuShips Directive 1903-13. In order to minimize delays, work with your echelon leadership (TG, TF, or Fleet CO) to get the necessary document submitted at the same time, or as soon as possible thereafter, to email@example.com.
- Ensure the Change of Command Request form is filled out fully and correctly. Forms filled out incorrectly will be rejected.
- Submit the completed Change of Command Request form to firstname.lastname@example.org. If there is a preferred date for the change of command, please note that in the email. At a minimum, allow at least one week for BuShips to work through the process and create the necessary documents. Allow more time if any necessary documents for the Command Review Board are not being submitted at the same time as the Change of Command Request.
- A member of the BuShips staff will reply to let the submitter know that the request has been received. The 3SL or D3SL will be the submitter's primary contact throughout the change of command. However, email@example.com should be CCed on every email to help ensure no breakdowns in communication occur.
- Any issues identified by the BuShips staff will be relayed to the original submitter and the Fleet CO, where appropriate, via email.
- On the requested date, or as early as possible, the Third Space Lord, or Deputy Third Space Lord, by direction, will:
- Email the prepared documents to the incoming CO of the ship, the outgoing CO of ship, the Fleet CO of the affected fleet, the Bureau of Personnel, and Web Services
- Post the order on the forums, TRMN Announcements and Orders Facebook page, the affected fleet's Facebook page, and the Bureau of Ships Facebook page.